Healing a relationship can be tough, but if you’ve decided that both of you want to, that’s a step in the right direction. Sunny Rodricks tells you how to mend strained relationships over travel
Travel is meant to be fun, but it’s also a therapy that can heal. While it’s mostly seen as a healing instrument for oneself, you can also use it to fix strained relationships that can’t see the light in the darkness of ego, anger and pride. So, if you and your partner are going through a rough patch, here’s how to save your relationship and remake the bond that you once shared.
Sweat it out
Exercise is a wonderful way to bond, but if you’re not motivated to workout together in your home city, take a short adventure trip. You can try biking, hiking, or even the more adventurous rafting or bungee jumping. It will boost your self confidence and relieve stress.
Swear to dare
Your relationship won’t fix itself, especially if you sit on your couch and watch TV after work. Do something exciting! Activities such as scuba diving or parasailing, where you need trust and communication, will bring you closer together. Adventure activities will not only give you an adrenaline rush, but also the confidence to face your fears, and that will carry into fixing your relationship.
Laugh your heart out
It can be over silly jokes or while you are watching a comedy show. Whatever it is, try and be open enough to laugh out loud in front of and with your partner. Reminiscing over old memories where you laughed your hearts out can help, too. They say laughter is the best medicine and there’s no better alternative to rekindling your bond than by sharing the joy of laughter.
While many of us have experienced playing truth or dare with friends, you can play it with your partner while you’re traveling to strengthen your bond. It will show your partner that you are willing to be open and speak with them and work towards building a better future together. It helps you have an honest and open conversation and forget and forgive mistakes and the past to start your relationship afresh.
Bond over new things
One way to rekindle the bond is to teach your partner something that they have always wanted to learn, such as playing the guitar or learning a foreign language. Learning from one another actually teaches both of you new skills and also helps you to bridge the gap that exists between the two of you. You might be travelling to a local village or somewhere far off from the country and it’s here that you must take advantage of the opportunity and bond with your significant other over little things like food, travel, language or communication. Be positive and don’t give up, and soon you will reap the fruits by winning back your loved one’s trust and confidence.
IN THE DRIVING SEAT
A relationship, just like everything else in life, needs proper care and attention. Many a times when things aren’t going our way, we cut through our relationships and move on, but here are few tips that you should make note of in order to mend strained relationships.
- Determine why the bond or relationship is in trouble.
- Instead of ending an argument with slammed doors and utter silence, communicate with friends or family in order to resolve the issue.
- Learn to forgive and forget, and start the relationship and friendship on a fresh note.
- Relationships involve a lot of give and take, so learn to compromise and understand the other person’s perspective or circumstance.
- Learn to grow together by accepting each other’s strengths and weaknesses.
- If you’re angry with your friends or loved ones, delete the bad scenes and replace them with happier ones. Think about all the good things that your partner has done for you.
- Listen to the other person instead of talking over them or cutting short the conversation.
- Don’t hold back from making the first move, whether it is saying sorry or asking if there’s something amiss.