You may not have the funds to buy a beach house, but you can still enjoy seaside décor in your own home, for a fraction of the cost. Kripa Kataria tells you how
Tons of light, linen curtains and crisp white covers come together to create a comfortable, soothing space in an otherwise dull room. We’re still in love with the relaxed atmosphere that is synonymous with seaside décor, and we’re sure you will be too! A serene blue painting evokes imagery of the ocean and the sky, while on the coffee table, twine balls and distressed accessories add a touch of the weathered texture. Read on to find out more on how to style your space into a ‘seatrical’ area!
SUMMER ALL YEAR
Don’t fall prey to the dull trap of winter! The temperature may be dropping and leaves withering outside, but playing with colour in this easy-to-follow formula will help make your home a more cheerful and vibrant place this season. Embrace a pop of colour or hang botanical prints (among other accents) on the wall, and you will never have to say goodbye to the breezy beach vibes you enjoyed all summer. The pure white panelling technique lends an instant, laid-back beach hut vibe, while retaining classic styles.
BEAUTY IN THE LITTLE THINGS
Pretty, inexpensive stands can be used to set pillar candles in a bed of sand that you’ve collected from the beach or bought at a craft store. Channel your inner mermaid with a shell jewellery dish or use a large shell to create an eye-catching bedside catchall. Decorating table tops with beach shells or pebbles is a great way to give them a fresh and natural look — just like the beach!
THE BIG LOOK
Create a canopy bed with sheer white curtains draped about the corners. Decorate the drapes with fairy lights and voila! You have your own beach-themed wonderland. Forget the marble for beach-themed interiors; wood is always the best option. Whether it’s textured or not, woody interiors with wood-panelled oversized chairs will give your home a beach front look! You can also add an oyster shell chandelier, which will help create a more sophisticated vibe. Rattan chairs add a comfy coastal element to a casual dining room, which you can brighten with flowers in a traditional arrangement with a playful twist.
- Instead of replacing furniture for a new look, use slipcovers to brighten up the space. Slipcovers provide you with a budget-friendly way to experiment with different prints, fabrics and styles in your home. They can be washed and replaced quite easily, giving you a new room in a jiffy!
- Aloha! You can always say “Surf’s up!” when you incorporate surfboards into your home. Think outside the box by converting one into a table, a kitchen island top or a creative shelf.
- Maintaining a similar colour palette for furniture and showpieces, preferably brown or blue, will set the right beach mood for your space.
- Use nautical prints for rugs, pillow covers, mats, napkins, towels and bed sheets.
- Create a gallery wall with simple black frames, where you can switch out the artwork depending on the season.