Ever wondered how people can look so stunning in a simple pair of jeans while you’re still trying to find the perfect pair? Khevna Pandit brings you a few foolproof ways to pick out the most flattering pair for yourself
The perfect pair of denims is a staple in every wardrobe. That’s why it’s essential for us to pick the right pair — one that not only makes you feel good, but also looks great on you, no matter what the occasion. However, a common misconception is that picking out good denims is only about finding the perfect size and shape to suit your body type. But, this is not the case. No matter what size or shape you are, several other factors also influence how well your jeans fit. So, before you step out to pick up a new pair, consider some of these tips.
Rules to live by
We know that walking down aisles filled with different types of denim can be monotonous and tiring. By the time your search ends, you’re confused, disinterested and willing to go back to an old favourite. But, before you throw your hands in the air and decide to pick the first thing that you see, stop to check whether your new pair of jeans meets this checklist of denim rules.
- Rule #1: Figure out what your proportions are. Before you pick out a high-waist option, make sure that it is a good fit for your body. For example, if you’re short and have a longer torso, pick jeans with a higher waist that will give you more ‘leg’, and vice versa if you’re tall.
- Rule #2: Think of your jeans like Cinderella’s glass slippers. We usually tend to pick jeans that are too baggy or fall too straight, making us look too broad. Remember, good jeans require a little wiggle and push to get into before they sit perfectly on your waist.
- Rule #3: Keep looking. There’s nothing like the ‘perfect pair’. You could have as many as you wish, if you keep looking through those endless aisles. The trick to owning the perfect pair of denims is to browse long enough to find one that suits your figure.
- Rule #4: Be confident and comfortable. Don’t worry about what you look like in the trial room mirror; you know you’ve got what it takes to flaunt the perfect pair of denims! Remember, a good pair will accentuate your curves, making you look leaner and more shapely, but not too skinny.
- Rule #5: While this may seem a bit obvious, make sure you focus on the brand and the wash quality. Don’t pick out a whimsical wash if you’re unsure of what it looks like. The colour and the style are equally important when it comes to picking the right jeans. And, while you can pick cheaper trousers and shorts, quality really counts when it comes to denim!
- Rule #6: When in doubt, go dark. If you’re uncertain about what colour suits your look for the evening, pick a dark shade. A black pair is best for a fun night of clubbing or an informal interview. If you’re investing in just one pair, remember to go dark.
- Rule #7: After spending a fortune on the perfect pair, would you really want it to go out of shape on you? Make sure to cold wash your jeans if you want them to last. This keeps the fabric from wearing out quickly.
We spoke to fashion designer Priyanka Gangwal to find out more about shopping for denim, especially when it comes to picking jeans based on the shape of your body. She explains, “Denims are one of the trickiest pieces of clothing when it comes to shopping. When you’re buying jeans, your figure plays a very huge part. From your waist, to your hips and thighs, to the length of your legs, it all depends on your proportions. For people with long legs, skinny or slim fit denims are a better idea than bell bottoms and flares, which work better for people with shorter legs. When it comes to the rise of these denims, people with flatter stomachs can pick low waist pants, while those with fuller waists should opt for medium or high waisted styles for a more flattering look. The same goes for thighs. People with fuller thighs should go with a little bell to even out the proportion of their legs, while skinny people can go with fitted jeans.”