You can make the most of a crystal’s powers by keeping the stone with you at all times. Lathering on some gemstone-infused moisturiser or toner should do the trick then, says Pearl Mathias
Call us sceptical, but we did raise an eyebrow when we heard about the new beauty trend that includes the use of crystals and gemstones as part our beauty routine. However, when meditation and yoga just don’t do it for you, you may resort to alternative therapies such as crystal healing to achieve a balanced mind. Now, when it comes to matters of prosperity and positivity, you may need to meet with a healer to know which crystals work best for you. However, if you’re looking to enhance your beauty routine, you only need to know how the different types of crystals can help and how to use them.
THE POWER OF CRYSTALS
Beauty products that contain sodium laurel sulphate (SLS), petrochemicals and parabens are harmful for your skin. But, crystal-based products are better because the crystals act as electro-stimulants, which can help increase cell productivity and repair damage. Make sure that the products you use contain these crystals.
- Jade: A detoxifying stone, jade contains magnesium, which reduces inflammation. It also helps to reduce water retention, making it an excellent option if you’re looking to fight bloating.
- Rose quartz: Excellent at calming skin, rose quartz helps to reduce tension in the facial muscles as well as calm a stressed mind. It also helps with fine lines, wrinkles and redness.
- Amethyst: A purple form of quartz, amethyst works on inflammation, making it the ideal option for those suffering from acne and breakouts.
- Amber: A crystallised tree resin, the soothing amber is well known for its properties that can add a vibrant radiance to your skin.
- Tourmaline: If you’re looking to detoxify your mind and body, choose tourmaline. It supports circulation and battles water retention, making it a great anti-ageing ingredient in beauty products.
- Sapphire: Another powerful anti-ageing crystal, the healing stone of sapphire has skincare benefits like that of giving you an even complexion.
- Ruby: This deep red crystal helps recharge your skin’s energy levels and livens up the fatigue that is noticeable in your complexion. Using an exfoliator that contains this crystal will leave your skin feeling revitalised and refreshed.
- Citrine: A stone of optimism and creative energy, citrine helps to slough away dead and tired skin cells, and leaves you with a brighter complexion.
- Onyx: Known for cleansing negativity, onyx is an excellent crystal for skin-related disorders such as rosacea as well as for certain skin allergies. It also tackles various hair disorders.
A CRYSTAL CURE
Now that you’re aware of the beauty benefits of various gemstones, here are a few ways in which you can add them to your skincare routine at home.
As a toner
Place the gemstone or crystal of your choice in a glass of filtered water and leave it to sunbathe for around 10 minutes before you remove the crystals from the water. Transfer the water to a spray bottle and spritz it on for refreshed skin.
As a mask
Use crystal infused water (making it in the way described above) as a base for your mask. Place this water in a bowl and add your usual powdered mask to it. Mix it till you get a pasty consistency. Apply it to your face using a fan brush and wash it off after 15 minutes.
As an oil
Pour some oil (organic olive oil, jojoba oil or almond oil) into a bowl, drop the crystals you wish to use into the bowl and leave it for three minutes. Remove the crystals and the oil is ready to be applied to your face, hair or body.