Still not sure how to make quinoa tasty? Purva Indulkar suggests our favourite quinoa recipes
Quinoa, barley and pomegranate salad
Want a treat that’s extra healthy? Pair quinoa with your favourite salad and fruits! Chef Rahul Dhavale from The Westin Mumbai Garden City tells us how.
3 cups cooked quinoa, 1 cup barley, ½ cup cooked chickpeas, 1 cup pomegranate arils, 6 cape gooseberries, 100g cherry tomatoes, 2 whole lemons (preserved and cut in thin strips), 100g toasted hazelnuts, 1 tbsp fresh dill sprigs, 1 tbsp fresh thyme sprigs, 1 tbsp lemon balm sprigs, 1 tbsp mint sprigs, 100ml extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh oregano, 30ml honey, 1 tbsp paprika (optional), salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash, dry and chill all the fresh ingredients. Remove them from the fridge just before assembling the salad.
- Cut the gooseberries into quarters and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Chop up the hazelnuts and oregano separately.
- Prepare a dressing by mixing extra virgin olive oil, honey, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a salad bowl, mix the quinoa, barley and chickpeas along with the pomegranate arils.
- Scatter the gooseberries and tomatoes on top. Add the preserved lemon strips and hazelnuts.
- Garnish with herb sprigs. Mix the dressing well and drizzle generously.
Red dragon fruit and quinoa salad with sweet lemon dressing
Chef Rohan D’Souza, from Silver Beach Café, Fort, gives us a hearty salad recipe that combines quinoa with an exotic fruit.
1 red dragon fruit (diced or scooped into balls), ½ cup cooked quinoa, a handful of baby spinach, ½ roasted yellow bell pepper (not diced), 1 sliced onion, 80g chopped sundried tomatoes, a few sprigs of fresh coriander, cooked filo pastry flakes (brushed with butter and baked for a few minutes till bronze or lightly brown)
For the sweet lemon dressing: Juice from 1½ lemons, 60ml rapeseed oil, ½ tbsp caster sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients for the salad dressing and set aside.
- Assemble the rest of the salad ingredients except the filo pastry.
- Mix well with the dressing and seasoning.
- Plate it up and add the crispy filo pastry.