Artichokes act as breath fresheners, diuretics and aphrodisiacs, among several other things. Purva Indulkar asked nutritionist from Gold Gym, Kasturi Padhye, to give us a few healthy artichoke recipes
Calories: 100 per serving
1 tinned artichoke, peeled and chopped potatoes, 1 medium onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 cups of vegetable/ chicken broth, 2 cups of water, 2tbsp butter/ olive oil, salt and pepper, dried mixed herbs to taste
- Heat the butter/ oil in a pan and add the onions. Cook and stir for 4-6 minutes, until they soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 10 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, artichokes, water and broth. Cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the mixture cools down, purée it in a blender. Serve the soup hot with a pinch of salt, freshly crushed pepper and herbs according to taste.
Calories: 246 per serving
1 ½ cup brown rice, 200g canned artichoke, 200g mushrooms, ½ cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, ½ cup grated cheese, 1 bay leaf and a few dried red chillies, salt, pepper, vegetable/ chicken broth or water as per requirement
- Cook the brown rice in a pan with 2 inches of water. Boil it uncovered, drop in a bay leaf, and then cook it on simmer until the brown rice is soft. Dispose off the bay leaf.
- Over medium heat, pour oil in a pan. Add the red chillies and onions. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes — stir until the mixture is brown and begins to soften. Then add the brown rice along with garlic and stir for a minute. Add mushrooms and artichokes to the pan and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ½ cup of broth (or water), bring it to a boil on medium heat and cook until the broth is absorbed. Keep adding the broth and stirring until the mixture is creamy. Add in the cheese and serve it hot.