Many youngsters who step into college for the first time tend to be confused about how to spend their free time. Several activities are available, courtesy the various organisations in our city. Neha Ghatpande takes a look at what can be the best activities for young collegians.
AIESEC- YOUTH ORGANIZATION:
AIESEC, pronounced ‘eyesek’ which means Association Internationale des Étudiants en Sciences Économiques et Commerciales, is a global youth organization present across 110 countries. In India there are 24 local committees situated in various cities. We have AIESEC Mumbai having 120 members, as on date, who are students of the various colleges in the city.
According to Nikita Singh, local committee president of AISEC Mumbai, the organisation helps students to get the feel of work environment even while studying.
“It will give all the students a chance of interacting with other youth nationally and internationally, and through various activities the talent of every student will be
honed,” added Singh.
For AIESEC membership one will have to register online and pass two levels of interviews; the first level is a group discussion and the second is a personal interview. To pass both the levels one should be knowledgeable about the current affairs and social issues. Allthe activities are mostly encouraging
the exchange programs of students from various countries. Students can get internships abroad and work with a social organisation or students can be
part of the organisation to guide foreign students who have come here.
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF MEMBERSHIP FOR AIESEC
- Premium membership – it’s a full time membership in which the student will be involved in each and every activity of the organisation.
- Associate membership – in which students can work on smaller projects. For more info visit: http://www.aiesecmumbai.org/in dex.htm
YOUTH HOSTELS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA (YHAI):
Besides the college activities you can also become part of an organisation that will give you a chance to travel, to care about the environment. The YHAI will
also give you a chance to go on local treks in Sahyadri as well as national expeditions where you can meet youngsters from all over the country.
For YHAI, one needs to apply for the membership card and the schedule of all the national expeditions have been given on the website. They have cycle
tours, treks in Dalhousie, Goa and the Himalayas. Membership of the YHAI also opens up the option for students to stay in the youth hostels across the country or even abroad at a very cheap rate and go on the road trip.
Phone: (022) 24126004 or
Also check out: http://www.yhaindia.org/branc hes
The Rotaract Club usually targets college students though others can also join the club. Colleges such as K.C., Jai Hind and H.R. have their own Rotaract clubs
and such clubs are also present at the city level – Rotaract Club of Bombay, Rotaract Club of Ghatkopar and so on, where students can enrol and join their
Rotaract clubs work in five basic avenues:
- Club service: Here, one has to attend or be part of organising bonding sessions of all the members of the club
- Community Service: Serving the community or doing social work. It may include spending time withneedy children or tying up with NGOs to work for destitutes.
- International Service: Through this activity students get exposure to the western culture, celebrating international days andorganising global events.
- Professional Development: It can be termed as one of the most mportant activities of the Rotaract club. There are several seminars and conferences, arranged throughout the year just to update students about variouscareer options and professions.
- Public Relations: It is the activity wherein the Rotaract club is to be publicised through variousmedia.
“Even if the Rotaract club is not present in any college, students shouldn’t be disheartened. They can join the Rotaract Club of Bombay and be part of similar activities,” said Dipesh Sajanani, member of the Rotaract club of H.R. College.
Contact: for more informationlog on to http://www.rotaryclubofbombay.org