The Parsi-Irani community has a great appetite for good and tempting food on the auspicious day of Jamshedi Navroz. Shernaz & Baji Avari guides you in advance where to tinkle your glasses and satisfy the gourmet in you, by visiting various hotels and restaurants.
- West End Hotel (The Gourmet) at Marine Lines. Zoroastrians really enjoy their sumptuously laid out buffet lunch/dinner with tempting and tantalising Parsi dishes. You can reserve your tables on 40839155/ 40839119 for buffet lunch between 12.30 p.m. to 3 p.m. and for buffet dinner between 8 p.m. to 10.30 p.m. Get going with your family friends and well-wishers.
- opposite New Excelsior Cinema in Fort. They specialise in chicken/ Mutton/ Prawn Biryani, ‘patra-ni-machhi’, mutton/chicken gravy cutlets, kheCafé Excelsiorema, Sali & kaleji, chicken farcha. Happy endings with ‘Lagan-nu-custard’ and ‘Sagan-ni-sev’. Reservations a must on Tel. 22074543/ 22001299.
- Calorie Care If you are conscious of your calorie intake, as most Parsi/Iranis are, ring them up on 24122100/11 and they will deliver to you freshly cooked calorie controlled meals, specially on Jamshedi Navroz and on daily basis according to your specific requirements. You can rely on them for watching your calories.
- Nizam heritage & Coffee Shop at Comfort Inn at Byculla. Residents of Rustom Baug/Jer Baug/Lal Baug and Parel would prefer to dine here by reserving on tel: 23714891/23734901. Savour their Parsi and Moghlai dishes like ‘Murgi-na-Farcha’, ‘Sali-ma-murghi’, ‘Patra-ni-machhi’ and biryanis and pulaos and ‘Pather gosht’. Sign off with sweet dishes like the mouth-watering ‘Lagan-nu-custard’. Reserve your tables with Mr. Raza on 8879224493.
- Silk Route – at Kala Ghoda, Fort. If you adore Chinese and Thai cuisine as some Zoroastrians prefer, then Silk Route is the place to visit for. Reservations a must on Tel. 22844324/22818572, You feel you are in the heartland of Japan, as you savour varieties of Sushi/Sashimi.
- Fresh Catch at Mahim. Parsi-Irani residents of Dadar and Mahim will prefer Fresh Catch to enjoy their meals with their family and friends by reserving on Tel. 32968981. They specialise in Buttered Garlic Crab Meat (boneless), prawns Rechaelo on Tawa, bombil tawa friend, gaunti chicken rossa kash, prawn pulao, ambotic curries/rossa curries, squid (calamari chilly fried), neer dossa, kanne tawa fried are worth to be savoured.
- Hotel City Point at Dadar T.T. Circle. Parsi/Iranis residents of Dadar, Parel, Lal Baug and Byculla can book their Diamond, Pearl and Coral Halls for their family, friends and well-wishers ranging from 10 to 500 guests for private parties on Jamshedi Navroze and other festivals on Tel. 24138635.
- Hornby Pavillion at ITC Grand Central kindly reserve your tables on 24101010 for their delicious buffet lunch/dinner with mouth-watering tempting dishes like prawn-patio, Sali-ma-murg, ‘patra-ni-machhi’, cocktail pulao and tempting desserts like ‘Lagan-nu-Custard, ‘Mawa and malai-nu-Khaju’. Their motto – ‘Eat, drink and be merry’, with their sumptuous spread.
- Oye Kake If you desire to have authentic, pure Punjabi and Amristari delicacies, then visit them at Cawasji Patel Street, Fort by reserving on Tel. 22871882/40027788. Start with starters like Paneer Tikka, Hara Bhara Kebabs or veg. platter. Taste their hot kulchas and parathas like Aloo Paratha or Cheese Kulcha. Do not miss their Amritsari Pulao, Pindi Chole, Dal Makhani, Amritsari Special with Corn, Mushroom, Cheese and Brown Gravy add to the Sabzi delights. Quench your thirst with mitthi or dry fruit lassi. Round off with ‘phirni’, Punjabi Kulfi Rabdi or Fruit Cream. Enjoy your Jamshedi Navroz by savouring the flavours of Punjab and Amritsar at Oye Kake.
- Madhyantar Fast Food (J.H. Bindal & Sons) After enjoying a Parsi/Gujarati play on Navroz at Birla Matushri Sabhaghar at 19 Marine Lines, just drop in at Madhyantar and flag off with fruit juices and milk shakes. Go in for their a-la-carte menu or bite into hot grilled sandwiches, samosas, pattice and delicious chaat menus. Reservations on Tel. 22066470.
- Sky Café – On Jamshedi Navroz, if you happen to go to Sterling, New Empire or New Excelsior for evening or late night show, then we recommend you to definitely visit Sky Café which is an open-air garden restaurant by reserving on tel. 22055558/22055557. It excels in Continental, Italian and Oriental cuisines. Their Chef and partner Virendra recommends that you go in for Zattar Marinated Fillet of fish, with orange butter sauce and pan roasted chicken Roulades with sage and onion gravy. For Italian delights, you have potato gnocchi with roasted vegetables and lemon cheese sauce. For oriental cuisine, he recommends you to have their yellow veg. curry with silken tofo and burnt garlic rice. Happy endings with fresh Raspberry Cheese Cake or Hot chocolate molten with Vanilla icecream. Contact Virendra on tel: 9821005063 and he will give you a royal welcome on Jamshedi Navroz and other festivals.
- Theobroma Patisserie – To pamper your sweet tooth, go in for their delicious brownies ,which are available in 8 to 10 varieties. The brownies are dense fudgy made from real chocolate and butter accompanied by care and precision. They also have a fine selection of cakes, desserts, chocolates, cupcakes, cookies, breads, Danish breads, sandwiches and savouries. They are now offering dessert catering for weddings, Navjotes and other events. Contact Kamal Messman on Tel. 22830101/22886464.
- The food Court at Sterling Cinema, Fort. The Food Court here offers a delicious platter of delicacies to suit all taste buds and all pockets. Enjoy your movie, munching away either salted/caramalised or mixed popcorns and licking into delicious Gelato icecreams offered to you in a medley of 16 flavours. On the first of every month, Gelato icecreams are sold at Rs. 12/- (for cup) and Rs. 18/- (for cones). Party packs are sold for Rs. 100/- flat. There is only one flavour on this day at the discounted rate, but if you wish to go for any other flavour of your choice, you pay accordingly. The most sought after item is the Sub-Way – either veg. or non-veg. The Aloo Patty is quite famous and you can choose your fillings from a wide variety according to your taste. In the non-veg. section, B.M.T. (Bigger Meat Tastier) is a runaway hit, with tasty fillings of chicken, ham, lamb salami and lamb pepperoni. If you have a flare for Lucknowi cuisine, savour their Nawabi Khana comprising of Lucknowi Nizami Kababs, Kabab Rolls & Biryanis, Broasty Fried Chicken, Lebanese Kababs and Shawarmas. Free home delivery to Byculla and to Cuffee Parade.
Contact: 9619295147, 9892107202, 9323527385, 65000156. They also have a branch at Andheri Link Road. Tel: 26338880/1/2/3. Little Chef – Celebrate life with little bites and lots of fun. Enjoy their crunchy Nachos, Pizzas, Pastas, Chana Batura, Icecream Sodas and smoothies. Chocolates from Celebrations, pastries and the creamy chocolate mousse await you here. Have a ball at Sterling Cinema Food Court with your family and friends on Jamshedi Navroze and on all other festivals.
- Pratap Lunch Home at 79 M.B. House at Janmabhoomi Marg, Fort, very close to our Afternoon office. They specialise in delicious seafood. Fully renovated with A/c. and fine décor, this family restaurant is constantly innovating and updating their dishes for their valued customers. For reservation tel: 22871101/ 22871818/ 40021101. Take-away menu and free home delivery between 11.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. For starters go in for Pomfret Tandoori Butter Pepper (boneless), pomfret tandoori calamari, pomfret chow chu or roasted crab tandoori.
Fish/chicken/prawns with burnt garlic sauce is a must try. Their special seafood includes crab meat succa or haryali and king prawns gassi. Fish Hyderabadi biryani and king prawns biryani are deliciously sumptuous. Chinese delicacy includes chicken Mongolian. Round off with icecreams, kulfis, Indian sweets and chocolate mousse.
- Britannia Restaurant at Ballard Estate (only lunch). Eat their signature dish – Mutton/Chicken Berry Pulao and feel on the top of the world along with ‘Patra-ni-fish’ (big sized fresh pomfrets) ‘Sali chicken/mutton’, chicken/mutton cutlets and to pamper your sweet tooth, have a bite of chocolate mousse or caramel custard. Due to heavy rush, please reserve on Tel. 22615264/30225264 in advance.
- For Heaven’s Cakes: Divine Delights await you at this newly opened A/c. Cake Shop at 27-C Victoria Bldg., S.A. Brelvi Road, Fort, Mumbai. Savour their deliciously mouth-watering goodies in the shape of cakes, pastries, rolls, muffins, a variety of breads, mousse and mousse cakes, cookies, puffs, croissants and quiche, Dough Nuts, cup cakes, brownies and tarts. Each bite brings its own delight. Enjoy the deliciously eclectic assortments infused with the best of flavours, ingredients and unique decorations and we are sure you’ll come back asking for more! You can get them per piece or in quantities of half and one kilo by ordering atleast one day in advance. There are also non-veg and veg. scrumptious sandwiches and rolls for snacking in-between meals or as a tea-time snack. A vast array of the choicest cakes and pastries await you here. Warm up this spring season, pamper your sweet tooth and hurry up to place your order from a vast range of the most exotic goodies in Fort area. Tel.: 022-66314140/22652102.
- Royal China - Toast your glasses with imported wines, liquors, cocktails and mocktails, accompanied by an authentic Chinese Cantonese style cuisine. The restaurant in question is of course Royal China (Fort & Bandra). The ambience here is majestic, with large wall to wall mirrors with solid black wooden furniture and a touch of red, white and black tapestry. The gracefully pleasing decor all speak of articulate finesse. At Royal China you can enjoy a variety of Dim sums that will tantalize your taste buds. All the dishes here are exquisitely laid out, masterfully cooked and exotic to taste.
The Peking duck is a specialty of Royal China and the Chillean Sea Bass in black bean sauce is a sure treat. Vegetarians can savour a tempting Veg. Sui Mai, fried dough cheung fun, stuffed egg plant with hot garlic sauce and many more. The courteous and hospitable staffs are always on hand to guide you when making your selection.
Royal China is an all time favourite for many.
Royal China, Fort:
Tel. No. 6622 0098-99 / 66355310-11 /2207 7513-2492
Royal China, Bandra:
Tel.No.: 40348900-01 /26425533-5111