Monsoon brings with it messy roads and gloomy weather. But, that shouldn’t stop you from dressing your best! Sara Shah & Anindra Siqueira have a few fashion picks that will help you stay at the top of your game
The monsoon this year has been waxing and waning (like it does every year!), but it’s about time you consider switching to some rain-friendly attire. This doesn’t mean getting yourself a full-body plastic coat and tall gumboots and walking around like a monster out of a horror movie. Here we tell you what you can do to beat the downpour, fashionably! Pick from stylish footwear, bags, umbrellas and accessories for men, women and children this monsoon.
Even your bag needs protection from the heavy downpour, so this stylish backpack cover from Wrangler will be very useful.
Price Rs 2,500 onwards
Orange is the new black
Orange is a popular colour during monsoon. Pick this bright and so, pick this orange raincoat available at Wildcraft.com to add a little colour to your look.
Price Rs 3,295
If you’re not comfortable in flip-flops, then simply invest in these classic water-proof slip-ons from Vans.
Price Rs 5,499
Viari has a range of stylish water-proof bags, like this one, to pick from.
Slip it on
If flip-flops are your go-to option this monsoon, check out this pair from Lacoste!
Price Rs 4,450
Look super stylish with this water-proof watch from GUESS.
Price Rs 14,500
Invest in good quality, stylish slippers such as these grey flip flops from Havaianas.
Price Rs 15,000
We’ve got our stylish office-goers covered with this suave, water-proof trenchcoat from SS Homme.
Price Rs 48,000
Forget boring black raincoats and go crazy with colours by picking this raincoat jacket from Flying Machine
Price Rs 1,900
This waterproof GUESS watch for women will is a great addition to your monsoon attire.
Price Rs 12,700
Pick this simple, yet stylish sandal from Melissa Shoes, available at Frangipani Kids and Shopmelissa.com.
Price Rs 5,300
This sailor tote from Viari looks great and is waterproof for the rains.
Price Rs 5,000
Hop over puddles with these chic, flat slippers from Havaianas.
Price Rs 980 onwards
Here’s something sportier for the rains from Melissa Shoes, available at Frangipani Kids and Shopmelissa.com.
Price Rs 8,500
Don this bright floral raincoat from HyperCITY if you really want to stand out.
Price Rs 699
This large umbrella from India Circus is simple, but oozes style.
Price Rs 1,299
Increase your style quotient with this uber-stylish limited edition umbrella from Creo.
Price Rs 1,850
If you want something more subtle, pick this stylish coat from Asos.com.
Price Rs 2,600
These gumboots for girls from Raindrops are super cute!
Price Rs 4,250
We love this Disney Princess umbrella from HyperCITY, and your daughter will too.
Price Rs 499
Red rainy hood
This bright red raincoat by Sonya Vajifdar is great for some good old monsoon fun.
Price Rs 3,500
If your child loves Disney movies, these slippers from Havaianas are a great pick.
Price Rs 1,900
These cute yellow gumboots from Raindrops are perfect for a rainy day.
Price Rs 4,250
This purple raincoat by Sonya Vajifdar will keep your kids dry and happy through the monsoons.
Price Rs 3,500
QUICK MONSOON TIPS
We asked Dimple Nahar, owner of 2Divine — The Lifestyle Temple, for a few tips for effective monsoon dressing. Here’s what she says:
- Wear flip flops instead of closed shoes. Pick colourful, funky flip-flops and peep-toes, which are a dime a dozen during the monsoon. Avoid wearing fancy shoes.
- Wear a water-proof wrist watch. Leather and metal watches become dull and discoloured in the rain. Choose a water resistant watch with silicon or plastic straps.
- Carry vibrant, stylish waterproof handbags. Monsoon bags and totes with newspaper prints, colour block, fancy star prints and retro styles in orange hues, monochromes and deep shades in digital prints add an edge to any attire!
- Wear stylish raincoats and carry sturdy umbrellas — add a bit of zing to your look with a fashionable — neon and transparent umbrella!
- Wear trendy hooded tops which will save your head from the rain.
- Wear floral knee-length sleeveless dresses. Get playful with short skirts and sling tops. Men can also experiment with colourful, knee-length shorts during the monsoon.
- Play with colour, but avoid whites and wear loose denims, shorts and capris.
- Pick knee length gumboots in quirky hues such as turquoise, yellow and fuchsia pink.
- Tie your hair up in easy hairstyles such as a top knot or a loose braid and wear water-proof makeup.