The 12th Mumbai Film Festival kicked off with a grand opening ceremony on Thursday. The festival is on up to October 28 at Chandan and PVR in Juhu, two screens at Metro BIG Cinemas at New Marine Lines, and one screen at BIG Cinemas at R City, Ghatkopar. Here are some movies to look out for:
1) The Social Network is the opening film and has a second screening on Friday at PVR. The David Fincher multi-starrer unleashes the truth behind Facebook and has been creating waves around the world. It is a must-watch!
2) Sofia Coppola of Lost in Translation fame is back on the festival circuit with Somewhere. The drama film starring Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning won the Golden Lion at the 67th Venice International Film Festival.
3) Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami's French drama Certified Copy stars Juliette Bincohe, who won the Best Actress Award for the same at Cannes this year.
4) Semih Kaplanoglu’s Honey is a Turkish drama film that won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival 2010. It is the third and final part of the Yusuf Trilogy, of which Egg and Milk were the first two parts.
5) Indian actor Aamir Bashir's directorial debut Harud is a film about Kashmir. It is in the International Competition category for First Time Feature Film Directors.
Visit www.mumbaifilmfest.com for registration details and screening schedules.