Afternoon D & C Dedicated To Mumbai
Home > Education & Career > Studying Abroad

Studying Abroad

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Alisha Mashruwala is a Partner at OnCourse and a Harvard graduate, and is also a Psychology major with a minor in Economics

I am interested in pursuing a Master’s in Political Science in the UK on completion of my BA Economics. Please explain the differences between taught and research postgraduate programmes?
—Kaveri Chinnaswamy

The UK offers both taught and research postgraduate programs. Taught postgraduate degrees are usually designed to develop in-depth knowledge in specialised subjects that you may have studied at an undergraduate level. They involve a series of taught modules, delivered through lectures, seminars and practical work. Full-time taught master’s programmes usually last for one-year. At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc), or Master of Business Administration (MBA) qualification, depending on your subject of study.

In a Research master’s degree most learning takes place through research. It is essential for you to be able to work independently as you will receive less tutor support than that provided on a taught degree. Research degrees are usually preferred for students who wish to undertake PhD studies. Full-time master’s by research programmes usually last for 18 months. Some courses may last as long as 36 months.  At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Philosphy (MPhil), Master of Research (MRes), Master of Arts (MA by Research), or Master of Science (MSc by Research) qualification, depending on your subject of study.

My son is very passionate about animals and wildlife. He is interested in studying Zoology. What type of undergraduate courses can he study in the US?
—Aayush Khatri

Universities in the US offer a major in Zoology and related fields within the Liberal Arts program. There are a variety of courses that you will be able to study. Depending upon your interests you may consider the following:  Integrated Biology, Zoology, Environmental Biology, Animal Sciences, Entomology, Animal Physiology, Pre-veterinary Studies, Wildlife, Fish, and Wild lands Science and Management, Animal Behaviour, Marine Biology, and Wildlife Biology

I am applying for Undergraduate studies to the US later this year. Is it possible for me to apply to more than one college for EA application?
—Surekha Shrivastava

EA application is Early Action Application where you apply earlier than most colleges. The EA application in most colleges is non-binding or non-restrictive which means that you may choose not to take admission in that college. In such cases, where the EA is non-binding, you may apply EA to other colleges.  However, some colleges offer a restrictive EA admission. They will prohibit you from applying to any EA or ED college if you via apply EA to them.  In case of such colleges, that offer restrictive EA you will not be able to apply to other colleges.

No Comments Posted
City news
Discover cache of 10 kg of party drug ...
The ED had moved an application to declare ...
Members of the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navn
What is the correct and healthy frequency of sexu
Dr. Rajan B. Bhonsle, M.D. (Bom)
Consulting Sex Therapist & Counsellor
Dr. (Mrs.) Minnu R. Bhonsle, Ph.D.
Consulting Psychotherapist & Counsellor
- Advertising -
Long-distance running as a sport and fitness regi
Follow a high-intensity interval training regimen
Diabetic patients may be unaware that they have t
Read More