Afternoon D & C Dedicated To Mumbai
Home > Education & Career > Study Abroad

Study Abroad

Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Alisha Mashruwala is a Partner at OnCourse and a Harvard graduate, and is also a Psychology major with a minor in Economics

My daughter is currently in Grade X. She is interested in pursuing Fine Arts related courses in the US. What type of programs would you recommend and what are the portfolio requirements for the same?
—Pooja Salhotra

There are several programs related to Fine Arts that are available in the US at the Undergraduate level. Some of them are:

  • BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts ): Fine Arts
  • BFA: Illustration
  • BFA: Integrated Design
  • BFA: Urban Design
  • BFA: Design & Technology, to name a few.

If you are not very sure of the field of Fine Arts that interests you, then the BFA: Fine Arts is one of the most preferred programs.  The portfolio requirements for each program will vary according to the college of application.  Some of the General Portfolio requirements that you may keep in mind are: Freshman and transfer applicants must create a portfolio of about 25 images, though you may need only about 20 for your submission. Portfolios can include a range of media such as drawing, painting, sculpture, fashion design, animation, performance, graphic design, or sketchbook pages. Some college may also require three to five observational drawings. Examples of observational work include landscape, still-life, self-portrait, figure drawings, and interior spaces. Since, the requirements for each program and college is different, you should consult the college of your choice for any specific requirements.

I am currently studying in FY.B-Tech. I was interested in studying for a short summer course in the USA next year. Do I need a Student Visa or can I use my existing Tourist visa to study?
—Amar Kapoor

In order to study a summer course at a reputed college in the US,  The F-1 student visa is the appropriate visa for you if your main reason for going to the United States is to attend a Summer School session on campus. The Tourist Visa or B-2 visas are for people whose main reason for visiting the United States is tourism. In order to apply for a student visa, the University will issue an I-20 Form to eligible students. After receiving the I-20, you need to apply for a F-1 student visa to attend a summer course.

I am interested in applying for the MPA – Taxation programme in the US. Will I need a 4 years Undergraduate degree to apply?
—Monhan Lajmi

Most Graduate schools will require a 4 years Undergraduate degree in order to apply for the MPA- Taxation programme. However, in recent times, several colleges in the US have started accepting applicants with good grades from a 3 years Bachelors degree. It is best to short-list your prospective colleges and then send them an email, asking them about your eligibility to apply considering your 3 years Bachelors degree. If you have a high GPA and a competitive GMAT score you may be able to apply for the MPA-Taxation programme with a 3 years Bachelors degree.

No Comments Posted
City news
In the year 1987, the burglar along with ...
The absence of any popular wave in seven ...
According to the World Federation for Mental Heal
We are convinced that children need to be educate
Dr. Rajan B. Bhonsle, M.D. (Bom)
Consulting Sex Therapist & Counsellor
Dr. (Mrs.) Minnu R. Bhonsle, Ph.D.
Consulting Psychotherapist & Counsellor
Select Sun sign:
Aries (Mar 21 - Apr 20)
Aries (Mar 21 - Apr 20)You are likely to remain careful and watchful today, foretells Ganesha. And because you'll be invited to parties and other social events, your enthusiasm will remain buoyant. You will also strike the right balance between business and pleasure, says Ganesha.
- Advertising -
Technology is found everywhere and unlike the vie
The online gaming is upsurging as one of the most
One of the distinctive qualities that we notice i
Read More